Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Words

When D was two years old he barely put two words together. He also couldn't communicate what he desired or needed. So we had him evaluated and he was diagnosed with a speech delay. As heartbreaking as it was, I was glad that he "only" had a speech delay. For a minute there I thought he had Autism.

So when we were nearing C's one year birthday I was starting to get worried about his speech. He was babbling, saying Mama and Dada, and a few other words, but I thought that he probably should have said a few more. Whether it be because I'm an over achiever or I'm afraid after what happened to D, but I was on a mission with C. He will be on track with his talking and he will NOT fall behind.

Right now my tactic is to reward every new word that he utters. He points and says "coo coo" for cookie? Cookie it is. He brings me a book and says "boo"? Reading time it is, even if we are getting ready for a bath. This, as well as narrating our day, has helped tremendously with C. A big smile for Mommy has also been nice while she's making a fool of herself with the over clapping.




Which brings me to the point of my post. C said a new word on Thursday ( yes I know I'm late). We were at Wal-Mart in the baby section looking for clothes for D. As we were passing by the pajama section C starts to get excited and says "Emo". Huh? Emo? What in the world could Emo be in the baby section at Wal-Mart? As I look around I see the bright red face with the words " I'm Ticklish" written over his head. So I grab the package and show it to C and he literally starts bouncing in his seat, saying "Emo! Emo!" over and over again with a big smile on his face. For the first time, and most likely not the last, C picked out his own pajamas and proudly handed them to the lady at the check out so that Mommy can buy them.





2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

YAY!!!! That's WONDERFUL!!!

Jenny said...

How awesome! Such a big boy!!!