Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bee Be Gone!

C was stung by a bee today. For the second time. I knew the minute I heard him crying as he was running inside for safety that he was stung. Within the hour, my poor baby was covered in red bumps and had a nice size "Red Dot" (as I've been calling it) on his thigh.

So we waited impatiently patiently for Dad to come home so that I could take C to the Urgent Care. Who knew that by showing the nurse and receptionist The Red Dot that it would land us in an isolation room? They had no clue what Red Dot could be so they wanted to err on the cautious side and keep us away from all of the other patients in case we were contagious. Ridiculous I know, but who am I to argue with protocol. So C and I sat outside and filled out the paper work and people watched. He is so funny when it comes to people watching. He'll point, shout gibberish, and then start heckling like he told the best joke. I try not to be embarrassed when some of the "watchee" stare at the "watcher" like he's lost his mind.

After they finally sterilized a room and took us back, C and I settled in for another long wait. Normally I'm fine with the wait, but C missed his afternoon nap and was already crabby. Add to the fact that he took his shoes off in the car and I wouldn't let him walk around barefoot in the doctor's office, C was not a happy camper. We were able to pass seventy five percent of the time in a relatively calm state. C entertained himself with the books on hand, playing with his cars, shouting at the posters, and using the patient bed as a slide. We also expanded his vocabulary to "lets go" and "get down" . Not bad for the hour and a half that we were there.

Dr. H was really nice. She took one look at Red Dot and declared that it was a mosquito bite (duh Mom) and said that all of the other red and white bumps were hives and he was having an allergic reaction to the bee sting. As this was his second time, she said that the next time will be worse and should consider getting an Epi Pen to keep on hand. This is the first allergy for either boy so it makes me a little nervous. I'll be calling his doctor in the morning to get that pen since we have a big bee problem in our backyard right now. After a dose of Benadryl, my twenty eight pounds, thirty three inch little Buggy went home and passed out.

To end on a good note, I had the doctor check his ears and she declared them to be perfect! So I'm going to assume that all of the waking up in the middle of the night that he's been doing is just due to teething. He does have at least four more teeth to grow...

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Oh the poor thing!! A bee sting is never a nice experience. Sounds like you had a busy day, probably not doing anything you had wanted too though!