Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bowling in Heaven

When I was younger, and afraid of thunderstorms, my dad used to tell me that it was just the angels bowling in Heaven. I don't know why, but that thought always soothed me when ever the noise became too loud or the house shook.

Via

Yesterday, I found myself repeating the sentiment to D when he scrambled into my lap with his hands over his ears. We had a rare thunder storm that lasted about an hour and finished with few minutes of hail.


It started out as a distant rumble and gray clouds.


D and I were enjoying some quiet time reading while C took his nap and Kel was helping his dad. I didn't think D noticed the noise, but he turned to me and asked if I was hungry. Silly boy. I kept my phone close by so that I could catch the updates via Facebook. One friend noted the thunder shook the roof in the city to the east of us while another friend shared that he was driving through the flash flood and lightning on the 101 freeway in the city to the west of us. As this was our first thunderstorm of the year, I wasn't sure how D was going to handle it.


I shouldn't have worried.


When D could hear the sharp clap of thunder, followed by a slow rumble, and finished off with flash of lightning, he just looked at me for assurance. While I'll admit to texting Kel that there were a few that scared the $*%# out of me, for the most part I just enjoyed the ride. Which meant that D could enjoy it as well. When he wasn't putting his hands over his ears.


Surprisingly, C slept through the storm. Once D had earned time on his video game, I stood on my front porch and just watched the storm roll in. Those who drove by probably thought I was crazy, but I was determined to enjoy the fresh air and the change in scenery.


Wouldn't you know, the minute I stepped out on the porch, the rain started. In buckets. I loved it, although D said that it smelled like dirty diapers.



It was over too soon and a complete teaser. I can't wait until rainy season hits our little section of California.





No comments: